Polin, one of the leading companies in the design, manufacturing and installation of water parks, water slides and water play attractions, are theming their iconic King Cobra waterslide as a King Dragon for the new indoor waterpark currently under construction at the Great Mall of China, Beijing.
The Great Mall of China is set to be the world’s largest entertainment and commercial mall. Located in Yanjiao, East Beijing, the project will take five years to complete in total. The first phase of the development, which will include two theme parks and a waterpark, is due to be operational by October 2013.
Kevin Tan, CEO of Berjaya Great Mall Co. Ltd. who are funding the project, believes that the waterpark is integral to success of the facility: "I'm very excited about the project."
Related: Polin Waterparks and Pool Systems Profile / Polin to Supply Waterslides for Caribbean Island Water Park, Yantai, China / Polin's King Cobra Waterslide to Debut at Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Waterpark in 2012 / “WaterTheme Parks”: Are Waterparks Set for an Evolutionary Leap?
The development will eventually offer shopping plus a waterpark, two theme parks (one for families and the other more extreme for thrill seekers), a theatre, an aquarium, two hotels, convention facilities, office towers and residential apartments with an indoor monorail to cover the 5.6 million square meters (18.5 million square feet) site.
The waterpark, which will be home to the King Dragon, will cover 23,000 square meters (75,459 square feet) and reach a height of 30 meters (98 feet). The design of the waterpark has two levels with the second floor enclosed in glass so that mall visitors can see in.
Polin will supply their signature King Cobra ride, themed as a King Dragon. This iconic waterslide is certain to be one of the waterpark's main attractions, offering both visual impact and an intense riding experience. Polin’s Marketing Manager Sohret Pakis says, "By theming the slide as a dragon, it ties in perfectly with a powerful symbol recognizable to all Chinese guests who visit the park."
Polin’s patent-pending King Cobra offers riders a unique ride path and design configuration – riders race through two double tubes through a twisting path and thrilling drop. In addition the waterslide is the first to allow operators the benefit of fiberglass theming.
The King Cobra is set to make a splash in 2012 around the world: at Six Flags Great Adventure Jackson, N.J. (June 2012), Aqualand Frejus in France (May 2012), Crystal World in Turkey (June 2012), KermanShah Waterpark in Iran (September 2012), Bugs Waterpark in Indonesia (October 2012) and Escape Waterpark in Malaysia (October 2012).
Polin will also supply three more of their signature rides to the Great Mall of China waterpark, each with customised theming:
- The Space Shuttle waterslide – a new thrilling waterslide that can be fully open, fully enclosed or half and half with a choice of exit locations at a pool or a run-out.
- The Uphill Navigatour watercoaster – Polin’s innovative water roller coaster that accelerates riders by hydro jets and water-injection propulsion
- A triple Blackhole tube slide – an enclosed tube slide that incorporates Polin’s unique, color changing effects on the inside of the slide's fiberglass tube
In addition the waterpark will include:
- Speed slides: Two slides, both with 2,006-liters-per-minute (530 gallons-per-minute) flow rate, capable of accommodating up to 120 people per hour - the Freefall offers a free fall experience whilst the Kamikaze waterslide has multiple drops.
- Extreme slides:
- The Space Hole - a waterslide that starts with a 23-meter (75-feet) enclosed flume before dropping into a bowl and a splashing exit.
- The Space Boat - this waterslide has elements of Polin’s Space Hole and Black Hole, with an enclosed 70-meter (230-feet) tube slide with unique color changing lighting effects.
- The Turbo Lance - a 34 meters (111.5 feet) waterslide that propels riders down a steep drop and then vertically uphill, before coming back down the reverse path over a bump and ending in a splash pool.
- Racing slides: The Windigo is a high speed multi-racing mat slide.
Sila Gokalp, Polin’s Landscape Architect, says, "Children are considered the most important guests of the park." For this reason great attention is being paid to the pirate themed Aquatower 100 water play structure, with three kids’ zones, each with its own pool, kids’ slides and more than 50 attractions including valves and water cannons.
Other Water Attractions
Other water attractions will include a wave pool, jacuzzi, leisure river, rapid river and relaxation pool.