Merlin Entertainments 2011 Financial Results: Double Digit Growth and International Expansion28 March 2012
Merlin Entertainments has announced its financial results for the year ended 31 December 2011. Europe’s biggest and the world’s second largest operator of visitor attractions put in another strong performance despite difficult economic conditions.
Related: Nick Varney, CEO of Merlin Entertainments Group sets out his six point growth driver plan / Merlin Entertainments: interview with Mark Fisher, MD Theme Parks / Merlin Entertainments 2010 Results - Still Rocking Round the World
- 15.4% growth in visitor numbers to 47.3 million.
- 18.1% increase in revenue and 16.9% increase in operating profit from increased visitor numbers, international expansion, roll out of Midway attractions and investment in existing assets.
- Capital investment of £174 million of which £76 million was spent on existing estate and the remainder on acquisitions (Midway and LEGOLAND Florida) funded from operating cash flow.
- Net debt of £1,209 million with maturity extended to 2017 and finance in place for the acquisition of Living and Leisure Australia.
Merlin Entertainments now operates 88 attractions in 19 countries across four continents. Significant events in 2011 include:
- The opening of LEGOLAND Florida, Merlin’s biggest ever new attractions.
- Opening seven new Midway attractions across five brands, including two at the Blackpool Power Complex.
- Resort theme parks enhanced with new thrill rides: Krake in Heide Park in Germany and Raptor at Gardaland in Italy.
- A successful first year of operations in Australia after the acquisition of the Sydney Attractions Group and a further move into Asia Pacific planned with the acquisition of Living & Leisure.
Looking forward in 2012
So far in 2012 Merlin say that current trading is “in line with expectations” and plan to end the year with 94 attractions across four continents. Key milestones are:
- The opening of the LEGOLAND Windsor Hotel.
- The opening of LEGOLAND Malaysia.
- Six new Midway attractions scheduled to open in four countries.
- New rides at existing attractions: The Swarm at Thorpe Park, Nemesis Sub-Terra at Alton Towers and Polar Land at LEGOLAND Billund.
Comment from Nick Varney
Nick Varney, CEO of Merlin Entertainments, said:
“Last year was the most exciting in the history of Merlin Entertainments as we delivered a further step-change in the performance of the business, while significantly extending our international profile…
Against this backdrop we approach the start of our key trading period in confident mood. While the outlook for the consumer economy remains uncertain we believe our strong brands and our relentless focus on customer satisfaction mean we will continue to provide thrilling days out for our millions of customers. We will continue to invest for growth under our proven strategy of growing our strong brands in a portfolio of attractions balanced by geography, product and demographics and we are therefore confident that Merlin will again make good progress.”
16 April 2014
Knott's Berry Farm breathes new life into old mine train ride
A long-overdue renovation of the Calico Mine Ride will introduce state-of-the-art technology to the first major Knott's Berry Farm attraction while preserving the groundbreaking work of a legendary theme park innovator.
16 April 2014
'Ratatouille’ Ride Opens July 10th In Disneyland Paris
Upcoming ride based on the Pixar film “Ratatouille” will officially open this summer on July 10, 2014 at the Walt Disney Studios Park.
16 April 2014
Universal Studios Japan sees 10.5 mil. visitors in FY 2013
The number of visitors to Universal Studios Japan in Osaka in fiscal 2013 was roughly 10.5 million, up 7.7 percent from the previous year and the second-highest figure since the movie theme park's first year in fiscal 2001, the park operator said Tuesday.
15 April 2014
Six Flags St. Louis implements fingerprint plan for park-goers
Patrons to the amusement park in Eureka are encountering the new system as the park reopened this month for the 2014 season.
14 April 2014
Beto Carrero aims to reach 2 million visitors
Translated: After counting with 1.6 million visitors in 2013, the Beto Carrero World theme park aims to reach a record two million this year.